Friday, December 13, 2013

Same Bull Rider, New Bull and New Direction


As I pen this final post as an Editor of FullofKnowledge and ExpertsPages I feel as though I have stepped into the shoes of Curly from the Three Stooges when he squeaked the words, “I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.” I'm supposed to be an Editor, but the right words do not seem readily available. As you will see that in the end, I have to rely on stronger forces than my own to get the job done.

How does one summarize more than a year's worth of work, experience and emotion into a simple and succinct piece of writing?


First, I need to say thank you to my family for allowing me the opportunity to attempt this enterprise. Without their support, I would not have lasted this long. There are no two ways about it. This is a tough business. For my editing and administrative duties, I probably netted between a buck or two per day. This for me is simply not sustainable. I hope that perhaps it will lead to new exciting and more profitable opportunities. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you or someone that you know need me for something.

I hope that as people take look around FullofKnowledge and ExpertsPages and see something that they like, they will remember that I was part of the team that built these sites. The sites that Laurie Tysinger refers to her “Homes.”

Second, let me thank both past and present editors who collectively invested a tremendous amount of effort in making the sites what they are today. I  mention them in the order that they came to the sites: Vincent Summers, Emancipation, Sandy James, Cathy Montville and Laurie Tysinger. While we may  not have agreed on everything, I give each one one of them my utmost respect and admiration for assisting with this endeavor. At times it may not have been apparent, but I hope that they know that I always appreciated every second that they took from their own lives to pursue a dream. Some will continue in pursuit of this dream. For them, I hope they catch it. For me, it is back to the grind. However, I am a dreamer so I will soon forge ahead with new dreams and ambitions.

Third, I express my gratitude to other high quality people that gave the sites a try, simply because I asked them. Some came when the going was good and some came when the going was rough. I especially want to say thank you to Crystal Ray one of Y!CN's most successful contributors with close to 40  million page views. She does it the old fashion way. She is not a one hit wonder and does not get featured on Yahoo news. She writes good content that people find. She gave ExpertsPages its honorary first post which meant a lot to me. Also on this are Teila Tankersley, Charlotte Kuchinsky, Roz Zurko, Monica Bullock, R.C., Krethem and the late Dan Reveal. Unfortunately, some of these other wonderful people took the FoK plunge right when it seemed as the bottom fell out.

Fourth, let me say thank you to the writers who faithfully published on FoK and EP  through both the good times and bad. These are people like Sharifa Mcfarlane, Paulose, thecuriousjenny, Sebastion Ocliu and H.B. Dalton. I also appreciated the efforts of KNR Becker, Whitney Rose, Brenda Nelson, Mark Gordon Brown, Chris Jarmick, Oscar Crawford, Bellamma, Aisha, Brittania and Angie M. These folks made great contributions and made FoK and EP better places. Angie M. even gets the best avatar makeover award. Additionally, let me thank some people that I admire that simply did have the time to post on a regular basis, but I appreciated seeing them when the time was right. Thank you R. Salley, Kevin Kato, Taylor Rios, Heather, Sandy Stachowiak, Melissa Matters, Jersey Nana and Catherine Becks.

Last, I say to some of the newer writers, I hope everything turns out well in all your writing endeavors. I apologize for not being as close to assist with your acclimation to these sites. I knew that you were in good hands. I see the fruits of your labor and the editors are impressed with you. Keep up the great work, Gizmodo, CJ Smothers, Mango, Edenjaid, Jack Goblin, Nitha Venkat, Dartoz, ztevetevans and Grey Falcon.

I know many people tried the sites, because of user recommendations. Therefore, I want to fire off a quick thank you to Jeanette Flint-Zalfini and DLWright for their contributions in this regard.

One thing I know for certain. Writers who submit their work for reviews, critiques and edits to the gifted and talented editing team receive a tremendous privilege. Each editor brings their own styles and techniques, and work closely with many people.

Some people have required more assistance than others, but that was okay. Everyone was unique and we wanted to bring out the best in people. There was a vision. There was a dream. I always believed that if we could form a community of people where quality content prevailed and the wage was decent we could all ride this bull for more than the minimum eight second ride.

All the editors wanted to draw in many people to this community. Each of them, in their own way, worked tirelessly in bringing people on board and providing the assistance necessary to achieve this objective. I thought, and I believed as they did as well, what we needed more than anything was a well oiled machine and to make FoK/EP the best sites possible.

As I conclude my remarks, I am struck with words to several songs from singer and song writer Aaron Tippin.


Writer: BROCK, WILLIAM CALHOUN JR. / TIPPIN, AARON
Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, WINDSWEPT HOLDINGS LLC

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"


Writer: TIPPIN/BURCH/JOHNSON (Aaron Tippin/Bruce Burch/Marcus Franklin Johnson)
Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, WINDSWEPT HOLDINGS LLC

Roll out of the sack every mornin', head on down to the mill
Give 'em all I got for eight, 'cause that's the deal
If you'll check out my paycheck
Well, you'll see that there ain't that much on it
But ev'ry single penny I'm paid, I got it honest”


Writer: BROCK/TIPPIN (Buddy Brock, Aaron Tippin)
Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, WINDSWEPT HOLDINGS LLC

I parked my car beside the highway and I didn't lock the doors
Left a note there with the keys if it cranks, well friend, she's yours”

Thank you Aaron Coates, Emancipation, Cathy Montville and Laurie Tysinger,Vincent Summers, Sandy James and Gable Rhoads. Through it all, I think and hope we all made friends for life.

Follow me on twitter @hanvanmeegerin. Sometimes on Tuesdays I do an Aaron Tippin promotion with #TippinTuesday.

No doubt, Tuesday December 16, 2013 will be another Aaron Tippin promotional day.

Well friend she's yours.

Image Credit: Laurie Tysinger
Copyright: Han Van Meegerin

You may enjoy:  FoK You PAA: Take your Site and Drain it

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/You've-Got-To-Stand-For-Something-lyrics-Aaron-Tippin


http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/I-Wonder-How-Far-It-Is-Over-You-lyrics-Aaron-Tippin

Originally published on FullofKnowledge on December 13, 2013. These are the comments that this piece generated there.
  1. R.C.
    R.C. at | |
    Hi Han,
    To continue your song “theme”: “You got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em” (compliments of Kenny Rogers). Change is one constant in this world on which we can all count – I personally find it exciting to try new endeavors and trust you will soon be discovering your next passion and sharing it enthusiastically with the world.
    You accomplished some great things on this site – thanks so much for all of your personal help. After 4+ years of back and forth e-mails and comments between the two of us, I am very confident that we will remain in touch.
    In friendship,
    R.C.
  2. Aisha Salma
    Aisha Salma at | |
    Han, really appreciate all the help you provided when I started writing for FoK. There was never a delay in email communication/replies and you have always helped me in bettering my work. I got to learn things about writing an article in an effective and succinct way, even the minute details, from you. Great inputs, as well, to make my articles look good. I haven’t been writing currently, and if I do, I will really miss your presence on FoK :(. Wish you all the best in your future endeavors. We will keep in touch. Again, best of luck.!! :)
  3. Teila Tankersley
    Han, Thank you for all your hard work! You’ve been such a friend. Was saddened to see your post. I know how much hard work you put into this. You certainly have the backing of all your friends. Wish you luck in all that you do! Please keep in touch.
  4. Sandy James
    Sandy James at | |
    Han,
    I do remember when you took a family vacation and called in to Skype with us (editors) about something or other. Since my background is HR, I believe I told you not to call in but to enjoy time with your family. You spent many hours on the sites which I’m sure neglected family time. I can understand why you want to move on and find something that will balance your family and work time. That is one of the reasons that I moved on too.
    My best to you and I’m sure I’ll ‘see’ you around on the web.
    Merry Christmas and enjoy the time with your family.
  5. ChrisJarmick
    ChrisJarmick at | |
    Re-reading this again. May several new doors open in the near future for you. It is frustrating how much time and energy it takes and how so much is taken for granted for serious-minded editors, writers….artists of all kinds I suppose. Good websites that don’t manipulate those involved in creating their content are few and far between. Good luck, Happy Holidays…and I look forward to seeing what’s next for you. Take care. Be good to yourself.
  6. MeadowLark
    MeadowLark at | |
    Han, you are a really talented writer and a wise editor. I thank you for your helpful advice and your quick responses to all concerns and questions. I appreciate the fact that you value quality and high standards for writing and your advocacy for the general quality of the sites. Wishing you all the best for the holidays and the future!
  7. bellamamma
    bellamamma at | |
    Thank You, Han, for everything. I am more than overwhelmed to see my name and the word ‘writer’ in the same block only because you and EP (FOK) made me a ‘writer.’ I never had the confidence to write for anybody until i tried it here. You encouraged me, praised me, and gave me more confidence than I needed to keep at it. I love to write, it makes me smile. You gave me that chance… and I am so grateful to you.
    Forever Thankful, Kristina.
  8. Taylor Rios
    Taylor Rios at | |
    I am saddened that you are leaving, but I know that sometimes we have to make difficult decisions. If anything, you gained a valuable experience and you never know how things are going to turn out unless you try and that you did. And thank you so much for mentioning me! I have so much going on between writing obligations and the kids that it can be difficult to get everything done, but I do come and write on FOK and EP when I can. I wish you much success in your future endeavors :)
  9. Sandy Stachowiak
    Thank you, Han for all of your kind words and complete willingness to help. You were always so responsive and diplomatic. I wish you the best of luck in all that you take on; I know you will be missed by many. :-) Sandy
  10. thecuriousjenny
    thecuriousjenny at | |
    Han,
    I was confused about your decision, but this explains everything perfectly. You are absolutely right to look after your self and family, even if that means setting aside a project you are passionate about. Thank you for all the help and encouragement that you provided to all the writers, myself included.
  11. Patty Therre
    Patty Therre at | |
    I’ve been thinking a lot about you, Han. We didn’t see eye to eye the last week or two before this post but one thing was always for sure. You are one of the most passionate people I ever met as it pertains to writing, editing, and pursuing your dream. This site was your dream. You took it and molded it into your vision of what a high quality writing website should be and that it is. It truly is. (Along with EP, of course.)
    I’ll always be sorry that I didn’t get to work a little closer with you and see a little more into who you really are and where you really want to be with your writing and editing. But I think I will see you around again somewhere, maybe even here, someday. You have too much fire in your belly as they say to walk away from what you do best. You are a leader and that leadership took a lot out of you emotionally. I could tell that very early on. That’s what a person who loves his craft has to suffer through. Although I didn’t always agree with your approach to certain situations, I always respected what you were fighting for. I didn’t quite understand it and it took time for things to sink in but I realize now that I only saw a tiny piece of the puzzle that is Mr. Han Van Meegerin.
    Best of luck to you wherever you end up. I would love to see you back here after a break back at the helm but if not, wherever you may roam, I wish you all the success in the world. Like I once said, “I’d hire you!” That still holds true. You touched many people’s lives well beyond writing and you have amassed much respect. Mine included. Write on.
  12. Gizmodo
    Gizmodo at | |
    Mr Han,
    Isn’t it strange how sharing a few lines we believe we can know someone, As you know I am a young writer, I believed( maybe took for granted) you would always be there to edit my work. You brought me a different perspective to my scribbles. As I read over your editorial comments I knew you had years of expirtience. After applying many changes to my own work, I felt proud that it read much smoother, it made more sense. Removing that dreaded word “that” (used a million times) which allowed my waffle to read more professionally.
    Not just that but…
    My mum is an honest person at whatever cost. For you to maintain your integrity in a world where this has become a very difficult thing to do, I respect you. Your family are very lucky indeed.
    Going back to my first sentence, I feel I know a bit about you just through your words. I applied the changes you offered without question knowing you had the expirtience and professionalism to steer me in the right direction. You, and all the editors here brought me a different perspective, this has taken me from a C grade to an A* in my English exams. (This is fact)
    So what I am trying to say through all my waffle is this- Thank you.
    I consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to learn from you. Others new here will miss out on this.
    And this to me is very sad…
    Goodluck in life Mr Han
    Miss G.
  13. Laurie Tysinger
    Laurie Tysinger at | |
    Oh, Han, I share every sentiment on this page!
    Cathy is right, your family is amazing for sharing you with us as they have, and I thank them from the bottom of my heart as well!
    Sadly, it is something I had not even taken into consideration, but should have, knowing how insane my own family often thinks I am over this place!
    I feel bad now for begging you to stay, and can only hope that you understand why I must stay! It is my home, and though I still feel lost without you here, I would be even more lost if I left my home!
    Yes, friends for life…always!
    -Laurie.
  14. FoKn Aaron
    FoKn Aaron at | |
    Now that I see this, I completely understand why you made your decision… friends for life.
  15. Sharifa McFarlane
    See you around, not happy with this decision but have to respect it.
  16. Cathy A Montville
    Han,
    Even knowing what was coming, I’m emotionally struck most by you thanking your family for standing behind you and supporting you through your endeavor.
    In my mind, I know all the editors’ families have been behind us (sometimes it was very difficult for family to understand exactly what the heck we were trying to do here) and we’ve all talked about it, but it just hit me how much your family sacrificed for you to dedicate time to the sites.
    Good grief!
    From the bottom of my heart, thank you Han’s sweet family!
    God only knows how irritating it was for him to be out with you and answering questions for us via his cell phone … with that unmerciful auto-correct no less. We learned to decipher many of his replies. :)
    Thank you for sharing him with us in so many ways!
    Yep, friends for life! :)
    ~Cathy~
  17. Emancipation
    Emancipation at | |
    This is a sad day for me personally and FoK and EP. I could have only hoped you would have reconsidered…In any event, I respect your decision.
    A gentleman. A diplomat. An editorial leader on these sites who shared a stunning vision with his friend and the site creator, Aaron Coates.
    Han, you will always be my friend…
    Gone. Never forgotten.
    Emancipation (Craig)
    PS: Time to write that film script.
  18. R. Salley
    R. Salley at | |
    Thank you, Han, for all your hard work! I wish you the best as you continue to the next amazing endeavor you set yourself to do. Writing is a crazy business, and we’re all cell-by-cell in this madhouse. Never look back, just keep on trying to find the key that sets you free. – Bisous, Robin
  19. Laurie Tysinger
    Laurie Tysinger at | |
    :(





First Friday Link Party For Writers

4 comments:

  1. Han, I know how hard you work and truly hope you find happiness in your next endeavor. I truly hope you include me in your Friends for Life, as I do you!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the opportunity to write for Expert Pages. You did a great job and I'm sure you will excel at your future writing endeavors. Let me know about any new writing sites and I will try to make a contribution. =) Melissa Matters

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the luck in the world, Han, but I still miss you!
    You have taught me so much! I hope we can work together again someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your insight for your fantastic posting. I’m exhilarated I have taken the time to see this. It is not enough; I will visit your site every day. watch ryder cup 2020 live

    ReplyDelete